Looking at the picture you probably guessed it folks. Caffeine found in coffee and a plethora of other commonly consumed drinks and foods is one of the most addictive substances on planet earth. If you don’t believe me, just drive by any Starbucks in the morning or in the afternoon and you will see what I am talking about. It’s a drug, just like heroin, morphine or cocaine. I often view people waiting in line to get their double espresso latte as junkies, just like a coke head would walk the streets late at night for a “quick fix”. But before you drink that next cup of coffee, you may want to know some of the side effects with the consistent use of caffeine. I am certainly not encouraging people to take a vow for a “coffee-bean-less” life, just simply reduce that amount that you are consuming. The following is a list of 10 reasons to avoid or reduce caffeine/coffee for a healthier and happier life.
1. Coffee is very acidic creating an environment in your body similar to a South American Jungle. Well, not exactly a jungle, but the acidity of coffee specifically fights against your body’s ability to remain in an alkaline state. If you must consume caffeine, opt for some healthy alternatives such as black or green tea which will still give you the “pep” similar to a normal cup of joe without all the acidity. Remember, diseases thrive off acidic environments……
2. Caffeine inhibits the absorbtion of some nutrients. So next time you are eating your super nutritious chocolate dipped Biscotti with your cup of joe(Ha, ha….) just think that few if any nutrients are actually being absorbed by the body. Basically, if you eat poor quality foods with your cup of coffee your consuming the nutritional equivalent of cardboard.
3. Caffeine speeds up the aging process. Whether you want to believe it or not, caffeine found in coffee increases your bodies own production of DHEA, melatonin and other vital hormones which can lead to aging of the skin and kidneys. So next time you slurp down that Americano, just think you are canceling out that expensive French anti-aging cream you spend all your hard-earned money on……
4. Caffeine leads to adrenal exhaustion which is directly linked to promoting inflammation in the body and a plethora of fatigue related problems including arthritis and fibromyalgia.
5. Caffeine exacerbates most female health problems including PMS, Osteoporosis(Acid in Coffee leaches calcium from your bones in order to maintain an alkaline environment), infertility, Miscarriage, Low Birth Weight, Menopausal Problems and Hot Flashes…..
6. Men can decrease their risk of urinary and prostate problems by reducing their caffeine consumption. Keep in mind that Prostate Cancer is one of the leading types of cancer in men over the age of 50. By the Way, two prostate protecting powerhouses are raw pumpkin seeds and avocados. So eat em up…..
7. As if American’s aren’t stressed enough in our fast paced world, caffeine stimulates the excretion of stress hormones which can increase anxiety irritability, muscular tension, indigestion and insomnia. So next time your craving a cup of coffee when your stressed, take a walk outside!
8. Caffeine severely effects your blood sugar levels by stimulating a temporary surge in blood glucose followed by an overproduction of insulin. This should be avoided by the 24 million Americans that have Type II Diabetes. I can’t believe I just typed that. That’s right folks, 24 million Americans or 7% of the entire U.S. population has Type II Diabetes. This is a startling statistic!
9. Coffee increases the body’s production of hydrochloric acid, which can literally burn holes in the lining of your stomach. This is one of the main reasons coffee is not recommended for people with acid reflux problems.
10. Last but not least, caffeine increases heart rate which makes your body work harder and less efficient to pump blood and oxygen around your body. The more you exercise, the lower your heart rate will be. Some elite long marathon runners have had resting heart rates as low as 35! Basically, caffeine does the exact opposite of exercise, increasing your resting heart rate……
Hope you use this information wisely to avoid the negative effects of routine caffeine consumption. Letting go of your daily fix will certaily make you feel like a millions bucks; unless of course you can’t make it through the withdrawal stage. Good Luck…..