So here I am sitting at my kitchen table after the most amazing 11 days of my entire life while on a vacation down in Mexico. Since I got back, I have been thinking how “epic” this vacation really was for me. I started thinking to myself, what really makes a vacation an “epic” one? You know what kind of vacation I’m talking about; one that you will NEVER forget! The kind of vacation that you find yourself thinking about day in and day out. The one that brings a big smile to your face every time you think about it.
Question: So what really makes a vacation an “epic” one?
- Epic is going down to Mexico when all your friends and family tell you NOT to go (because Mexico is really dangerous right now)!
- Epic is driving through a blizzard to get to your vacation after being told your should sleep at the gas station and get off the road (people were sleeping at a Subway and convenient store to avoid driving in the storm)!
- Epic is being searched at 4′ o clock in the morning by US Border Patrol outside of Jaurez and having drug dogs in your vehicle!
- Epic is being searched 2 additional times in the next 6 hours and having to take every single bag out of your car!
- Epic is running over a Mexican “Speed Bubble” and bending 2 rims and losing 2 hub caps 2,000 miles away from home!
- Epic is being searched at gunpoint by mexican military and being forced to get out of the car!
- Epic is having a guy with a machine gun hold up your climbing harness and stare at it for 10 minutes like it’s and alien from mars!
- Epic is having to stop at a Mexican highway road block and seeing dudes standing in the back of a Humvee with a rocket launcher pointed at your car!
- Epic is having these same guys wearing masks over their face and holding M-16 machine guns!
- Epic is rolling into the campground where we were staying after 30 hours of driving and realizing that we are “safe”!
- Epic is climbing the first day in Mexico in weather colder than Colorado!
- Epic is bailing after 5 pitches of a 10 pitch climb because your fingers were so cold you couldn’t feel them!
- Epic is going from climbing in brutally cold weather and then the next day it’s 80 degrees!
- Epic is climbing all day in the hot sun and then realizing that your drank more tequila and beer that day than you did water!
- Epic is attempting Time Wave Zero, which is the longest sport climb in the world at 2,300 feet!
- Epic is running out of water and food half way up that same climb!
- Epic is climbing 2,000 feet and realizing you’re not going to see the amazing views at the summit because it will be dark!
- Epic is having to turn around from that same climb and rappel for 5 hours all in the dark!
- Epic is standing on the ground for the first time after hanging on the walls for 14 hours.
- Epic is waking up the next day with bruised hips, ripped up fingers and feeling utterly destroyed!
- Epic is buying a top shelf bottle of tequila for 8 dollars and drinking it on your rest day!
- Epic is climbing Celestial Omnibus, which is an overhanging tufa route that starts 200 feet off the ground!
- Epic is having a ton of rope out on that same climb and having a hold break off!
- Epic is taking a massive whip several hundred feet off the ground with nothing but 200 feet of air below you!
- Epic is sending your hardest climb outside on your second try!
- Epic is the guacamole I made and ate every single night I was in Mexico (Avocado’s are dirt cheap)!
- Epic is thinking that a climb is impossible and not being able to do the start move!
- Epic is working the same “impossible” route for 2 days and getting almost to the top of the climb!
- Epic is rock climbing at El Potrero Chico, Mexico!
The following are photos of this epic vacation!!!!